In a “dangerous incident” on Thursday, New Zealand police said a gunman opened fire at a construction site in central Auckland, killing two people and the attacker.
The shooting, which also injured several people, occurred on the opening day of the Women’s World Cup, co-hosted by New Zealand and Australia.
New Zealand Prime Minister Chris Hipkins said there was no national security threat and the tournament would go ahead as planned.
The US national team, currently based in Auckland, said in a statement that all its players and staff were safe.
Acting Superintendent of Police Sunny Patel said, “The criminal proceeded from the construction site and kept waving his guns.”
“Upon reaching the upper level of the building, the man had confined himself within the lift shaft and our staff attempted to engage him,” he added.
“More shots were fired from the male side and he was found dead a short time later.”
Police said that apart from the attacker, the death of two people has been confirmed so far. They also reported multiple injuries.
Police said officers responded in “significant” numbers to the early morning shootings and cordoned off the area, as well as deploying a helicopter.
The details are still emerging, Patel said.
“What has come to light is very worrying and we are assuring the public that this incident has been brought under control and is an isolated incident,” the official said.
“We can also advise that this does not pose a threat to national security.”
Police asked people to stay away during the emergency investigation.
(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV Staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)