COVID-19 no longer a global health emergency: WHO | India News – Times of India

COVID-19which killed millions of people worldwide in the last three years is no longer a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC), WHO announced on Friday. Instead, the virus is now an established and ongoing health problem, it said.
WHO Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus told reporters in Geneva that the decision was taken after a meeting of the UN agency’s emergency committee on Thursday recommended. However, he cautioned that this does not mean that the pandemic as a global health threat is over. “(Even) last week, Covid-19 claimed one life every three minutes and that’s just the deaths we know about,” Ghebreyesus said.
The WHO designated Covid-19 as a PHEIC – the highest level of alarm under international law – on January 30, 2020 weeks after the SARS-CoV2 outbreak was reported from central China’s Wuhan city spiraling into a pandemic .
countries should not despair covid Guard: WHO
Declaring that Covid-19 was no longer a public health emergency of international concern, WHO chief Ghebreyesus said on Friday that the disease has turned the world upside down in the last three years, reports Durgesh Nandan Jha.
“About 7 million deaths have been reported to the WHO, but we know that the death toll is many times higher – at least 20 million,” he said. The epidemic has been on the decline for more than a year now, with vaccinations and a reduction in infection and mortality rates increasing the population’s immunity, he said.
The WHO said, “The worst thing any country can do now is to use this news to let their guard down, to dismantle the systems they have built, or to send their people the message that That Covid is nothing to worry about.” said the chief. Tedros said it was time for countries to transition from emergency mode to manage Covid-19 along with other infectious diseases.
India reported its first case of COVID-19 on January 30, 2020. Since then, more than 4.4 crore cases and more than 5.3 lakh deaths due to the disease have been confirmed. On Friday, the country recorded 3,611 new cases and 27 deaths.
After the WHO announcement, K Srinath Reddy, president of the Public Health Foundation of India, told TOI, “With the emergence of the Omicron variant and its sub-lineages, we have seen that infectivity remains high despite previous exposure to the disease and Vaccination or both. The severity has reduced significantly and the disease is not overwhelming the health system.”