US boy dies of brain-eating amoeba

Symptoms of the disease appear one to 12 days after exposure.

A two-year-old boy in Nevada, United States, died on July 19 from an infection with Naegleria fowleri, commonly known as the “brain-eating amoeba”. According to one report, Woodrow Bundy’s family believes the infection “entered his body while playing in the water at Ash Springs”. new york post,

the boy’s mother took Facebook Heartbreaking news to share. Ms. Brianna said, “Woodrow Turner Bundy returned victoriously to our Father in Heaven at 2:56 a.m. He struggled for 7 days. The longest anyone has lived on record is 3. I knew I had the strongest son in the world.”

She added, “He is my hero and I will always be grateful to God for giving me the best child on earth and I am grateful to know that one day I will have that boy in heaven.”

The boy’s parents initially realized something was wrong when their son began showing “flu-like symptoms” last week, according to a social media post by friends of the Bundy family. Ms Briana took him immediately to the hospital, where medical staff originally believed he had meningitis. Later, they learned he had the deadly brain-eating amoeba that sparked widespread concern earlier this year. It also killed a 50-year-old man in the US in February 2023.

Two days before the incident, Ms Briana claimed in a Facebook post that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) had refused to give the two-year-old any treatment because she was “at the point of no survivor”. ahead of”. The health agency has not responded to his allegations.

to deal CDCNaegleria fowleri is a type of amoeba (unicellular living organism) found in warm freshwater environments such as lakes, rivers and hot springs. When water containing amoeba is passed over the nose it can infect the brain and hence it is also called brain-eating amoeba. It is a rare disease, however, it is almost always fatal.

Infection occurs when water containing Naegleria fowleri enters the nose and the amoeba travels through the olfactory nerve to the brain. The thing to note is that people do not get infected by drinking contaminated water, if it does not go above the nose.

Symptoms of the disease appear one to 12 days after exposure to water containing Naegleria. According to the CDC, people die one to 18 days after symptoms appear. Severe frontal headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, stiff neck, seizures, hallucinations and coma are some of the symptoms caused by amoeba.